The Research Center for Coal Geology and Environmental Sciences focuses
on Coal Geology (in Romanian: Centrul pentru Geologia Zacamintelor
de Carbuni si Protectia Mediului), Environmental Sciences, fossil
plant systematics, taxonomy, phytostratigraphy, and paleoecology.
It is a small group of research that strives for survival in spite
of all epistemological and financial odds, centered around the Department
of Geology and Paleontology, Faculty of Geology and Geophysics, University
of Bucharest. The Center takes its pride in doing its duty in a country
that is a true bonanza for Coal Geology, Environmental Sciences and
Paleobotany. The material under research
is usually collected from Romania, but foreign material is under current
study as well. Also, a large library of
Prof. Mihai Emilian Popa is associated with the center. Members
of the Center are represented by Faculty members, graduate and undergraduate
students of University of Bucharest. The Center is located in the
Department of Geology and Paleontology, Laboratory of Paleontology,
1, Balcescu Ave., Bucharest.
The aims of our Center are linked to research, and to the promotion
for education, of coals, environment and macro- and micro- fossil
plants from Romania or from other countries, for a better understanding
of their Geology and Paleobotany (systematics, taxonomy, paleoecology
and stratigraphy) and to provide tools for a better exploitation of
coal resources in Romania or abroad. The Center focuses on Geology,
Coal Geology, Environment Science and Paleobotany & Palynology
as its main fields of expertise. The Faculty members of the Paleobotany
Research Group also accomplish a strong educational activity, by developing
curricula in Geology, Coal Geology, Ecology, Paleobotany and Palynology
for undergraduate and graduate students in Geology, Geography and
The Center was created by the late Professor Nicolae Ticleanu, faculty
member of the Department of Geology and Paleontology, University of
Bucharest. His death in 2009 was a tragic loss not only for the Center,
but for the whole geological community in Romania. We lost not only
a highly skilled professional and teacher, but a great friend too.
MEMBERS OF THE RESEARCH CENTER
FOR COAL GEOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
1. Prof. Mihai Emilian POPA, faculty member,
Director of the Center;
2. Assoc. Professor Doru BADESCU, faculty member, Deputy
Director of the Center;
Stefan Vasile, faculty member.
EQUIPMENT OF THE CENTER
1. Waldner HF fume hood for all types of macerations using
strong acids, accomplying to all acid standards, including HF standards;
2. Hettich EBA 20 Analytical centrifuge;
3. Carl Zeiss Axioscope A1 transmitted (optical) light microscope with:
- fluorescence capability (HBO 50 source)
- high quality Carl Zeiss objectives (N-Achroplan, A-Plan, EC-Plan-Neofluar)
for bright field, contrast phase and fluorescence microscopy;
- Canon Powershot A640 attached digital camera (first camera);
4. Carl Zeiss Stemi 2000C dissecting microscope with PCL 1500 LCD light
- Canon Powershot A640 attached digital camera (second camera);
5. Carl Zeiss Stemi GZS dissecting microscope;
6. An Acer graphic station computer with Axiovision software for image
aquisition, processing, analysis and archive (Axiovision Extended Focus
and Asset Archive modules), connected to the Canon digital cameras of
both Carl Zeiss microscopes;
7. The Library of Prof. Mihai Emilian Popa (MEP
Library) , including more than 7000 titles in Paleobotany, Palynology
and Coal Geology, recorded with ENDNOTE ver. X7 reference manager;
8. Computers (Acer stations), laptops (Fujitsu-Siemens, Acer), printers
(Sharp), scanners (Canon, Epson), etc.
9. Digital cameras:
- Panasonic DMC-L10 with Leica D Vario Elmar 1:3,8-5,6 / 14-50 mm zoom
- Panasonic DMC-FZ18 with super-tele capability (18x optical zoom),
- Canon Powershot S3-IS with supermacro capability and 15x optical zoom.
10. Coal, Paleobotany and Palynology collections. These
collections include the Prof. Ion Preda Collection, the Prof. Nicolae
Ticleanu Collection and the Prof. Mihai Emilian
Popa Collection (MEP Colection).
Carl Zeiss transmitted light and dissecting microscopes of the Center.
Waldner fume hood accomplying all acid standards in the Laboratory of
Paleobotany and Palynology.
Cuticle and spores and pollen preparations in the Laboratory of Paleobotany
RESEARCH PROJECTS OF THE CENTER
1. PNII-PC nr. 31-063/14.09.2007:
DIVERSITATEA GEOLOGICA A PALEOZOICULUI SUPERIOR DIN ROMANIA SI RELATIA
CU SCHIMBARILE CLIMATICE GLOBALE (Paleoclim), PI: Mihai E. Popa (2007-2010);
2. PNII-Idei nr. 436/1.10.2007: ECOSISTEME
TERESTRE DE VARSTA JURASIC TIMPURIE DIN ROMANIA, PI: Mihai E. Popa (2007-2010).
Marie Curie Excellence Research Project, PI: Jennifer McElwain, University
College Dublin (2006-2010).
4 . PNII-PC nr. 56 /14.09.2007: MACROZONAREA SEISMICA A TERITORIULUI
ROMANIEI, FUNDAMENTATA PE INTENSITATI MACROSEISMICE REEVALUATE, COROBORATE
CU DATE GEOLOGICE SI GEOFIZICE COMPLEXE, PI: Doru Badescu, (2007-2010).
5. BAZE DE DATE PALEOBOTANICE SI ANTRACOLOGICE, proiect
Former undergraduate and graduate students associated
1. Mihai E. Popa: Olimpia Negurici, Alice Pandele,
Ciprian Florescu, Bogdan Draganescu, Adrian Munteanu, Marius Miroiu,
Andreea Zaharia, Bogdan Savescu, Rascov Milan, Mirela Sandu, Paula Androne,
Valentin Boian, Victor Dinu, Valentina Fodolica-Cirimbei, Angela Toma,
Bona Beca, Daphne Dimopolos, Elena Calarasu, Gabriela Burghelea, Madalina
Ciupercianu, Dragos Voiculet, Berta Matei, Roxana Pirnea, Alexandru
Calin, and many others.