The course in Scientific writing is taught by Prof.
Mihai Emilian Popa and it is addressed to undergraduate and graduate
students of School of Geoscience and Technology, Southwest Petroleum
University in Chengdu, Sichuan. It is structured for a better and easier
communication in Geology, in the following directions:
1. in learning activities, as students communicate with their professors
in a written manner using essays and other manuscripts,
2. in scientific research, as students prepare their manuscripts for
various theses and for published works, such as research articles in
Structure of the course
- Scientific communication: writing science in universities for learning
and for research;
- The nature of a science written work;
- Originality of a science written work;
- Manuscripts and (published) papers;
- Types of scientific papers;
- The structure of scientific manuscripts;
- Citations and reference lists;
- Styles in scientific writing: a brief introduction;
- The standard format of a manuscript in Geology;
- Ethics in scientific writing: avoiding plagiarism and other misconducts
- The long way from manuscripts to published papers.
Fundamental questions of the course
- What is a manuscript and what is a published paper?
- What is the structure of a manuscript?
- Which is the best way in writing scientific ideas in Geology?
- Which are the usual mistakes students and researchers do in writing
scientific ideas and results?
- Why do we need to publish our research results?
- How manuscripts get published and become articles and books?
Garfield, E., 2006. The history and meaning of the Journal
impact factor. JAMA 295, 90-93.
McCormack, J., 2014. Brief. Make a bigger impact by saying less, Wiley.
Pinker, S., 2014. The sense of style. London: Penguin Books.
Strunk, W., 2011. The elements of style The Elements of Style Press.